Gand & Bernardel Firm
(1866 – 1892)
Two important houses of violin making and three makers form the basis of the prolific and successful Parisian firm of Gand and Bernardel: Charles Nicolas Eugène Gand and the Bernardel brothers Gustave and Ernest. ...Read More The firm was established in 1866, after Gand had ceased to collaborate with his brother Charles Adolphe.
Gand primarily learned the craft from his father Charles François, who himself was a pupil and son-in-law of Nicolas Lupot. The Bernardel brothers likewise studied with their father Auguste Sébastien Philippe, who was a student of both Charles François Gand and Nicolas Lupot. Strong ties bound the firm together: Gand and Bernardel pères knew each other well, and their works shared a connection to the undisputed master and founding father of the French tradition, Lupot.
Over 35 years in the business, the firm produced over a thousand instruments and bows, many of fine quality, and employed a great number of makers. Some of the more important bow makers of the firm include Charles Peccatte, Vigneron père, Pierre Simon, Joseph Henry, Claude Thomassin, and François Nicolas Voirin, whose style had a profound impact on the workshop's bows. Most instruments are on classical Cremonese models, and a light brown to light red varnish is most common.
In 1892 Gustave Bernardel became the sole owner of the firm, which remained in his name until he sold it to Caressa & Français in 1901.
- The auction record for this maker is $44,250 in Oct 2016, for a cello.
- 232 auction price results.
View all auction prices for Gand & Bernardel Firm