A VIOLIN BY BARTOLOMEO GIUSEPPE GUARNERI 'DEL GESÙ', CREMONA, c. 1731
An important violin known as the 'Baltic'
Labeled, "Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremonę anno 1731 IHS."
Learn more about the instrument
Explore its provenance
Discover how Giuseppe Guarneri became 'del Gesù'
LOB: 35.1 cm
- Proforma Certificate: Tarisio, New York, NY (Mar 16 2023)
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (Feb 1 2023) Dates the latest ring of the bass and treble side as 1711 and 1713, respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Certificate: Rembert Wurlitzer Inc., New York, NY (Jul 26 1962)
- Letter: Philipp Hammig (photocopy), Berlin (Dec 14 1946) Facsimile copy of a translation.
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (Dec 18 1936)
- Letter: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (Dec 17 1936) Reissued November 19, 1971.
- Certificate: Philipp Hammig (photocopy), Berlin (Nov 4 1934) Typewritten translation copy.
Ending time: Mar 16 at
2:00 PM New York / 6:00 PM London / 7:00 PM Berlin
Estimates available upon request.
High Bidder: 120481
High Bid: $8,000,000
Including Premium: $9,440,000
Click here for more information
Ask a question about this lot
You must be logged in to ask a question about this lot. Click here to login.