Pietro Guarneri of Venice, Venice, 1747, the 'Joachim'
Labeled, "Pietro Guarnerius Filius Ioseph / Cremonensis fecit Venetijs. / Anno 1747."
Head by Andrea Guarneri.
Scroll: not original
Ribs: of wood similar to back
Length of back: 35.4 cm
There are 4 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
Notes:"These facts are contained in the biographical story 'Joseph Joachim, ein Lebensbild' written by Paul Moser, in the first chapter. Moser was a pupil and close friend of Joachim, with whom he collaborated in the preparation of the biography. In the first edition of the work (Berlin 1899-?-) he refers to the violin as an Andreas Amati, in the later edition (1908) as a Petrus Guarneri, the change having probably been due to the opinion given by the Berlin dealer an connoisseur Hammig who did most of Joachim's repair work during his later years."
Pietro Guarneri of Venice: Son of Giuseppe Filius Andrea, Ernest N. Doring, Violins & Violinists, October, 1943, Chicago
|in 1942||Sold by William Lewis & Son|
|in 1943||Dr Eugenio Sturchio|
|in 1943||Sold by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co.|
|from 1943||Enoch G. Megrue|
|until 1987||Jouko Ilvonen|
|1988 - 2016||Lykle Lykles|
|from 2016||Current owner|
Adelina Hasani, Jouko Ilvonen, Lykle Lykles
Certificates & Documents
- Letter: John & Arthur Beare, London (2007) "This is to confirn that we have examined the violin labelled Pietro Guarneri with the date 1747, and are of the opinion that the body of the instrument is original. The front has been completely re-edged and repurfled, an inexplicable repair that one sometimes sees, but the soundholes are just what one expects from a late Peter Guarneri of Venice. The scroll is not original."
- Letter: John & Arthur Beare, London (1988)
- Certificate: William Lewis & Son, Chicago, IL (1943) #3769.
- Certificate: Rudolph Wurlitzer Co., New York, NY (1943)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Correspondence with Lykle Lykles, June, 2010
- Correspondence with owner, 5-23-2003
- Violins & Violinists, October, 1943, Ernest N. Doring, William Lewis & Son, Chicago (illustrated)
- Violins & Violinists, August-September, 1942, William Lewis & Son, Chicago