Vincenzo Rugeri, Cremona, c. 1700, the 'Baron Knoop'
Labeled, "Francescus Rugerius Alumnus Nicolai fecit Cremone 1663."
Previously thought to be the work of Francesco Rugeri.
Length of back: 35.2 cm
Upper bouts: 16.9 cm
Middle bouts: 11.5 cm
Lower bouts: 20.8 cm
|from 1878||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from c. 1880||Baron Johann Knoop|
|-||Sold by Ernst Kessler|
|until 1894||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1894||Baron Johann Knoop|
|-||Sold by Hamma & Co.|
|-||Sir Ernest Craig|
|until 1938||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1938||C. L. Benn|
|until 1969||Mrs Marguerite Silvia Benn|
|in 1969||Sold by Christie's|
|in 2008||Sold by Tarisio Private Sales|
|from 2008||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1938) ". . . was made by Francesco Rugeri and bears a label dated 1664."
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Bein & Fushi Catalog, No. 21 (2009), Bein & Fushi, Inc, Bein & Fushi, Chicago (illustrated)
- Christie's The Loder Stradivarius Violin, Musical Instruments, Miniatures and Objects of Vertu Auction Catalog, December 9, 1969, Christie's, Christie's, London (illustrated)
- Reuning & Son Violins Newsletter, Fall, 2005, Reuning & Son, Boston
- The Strad, October, 2007, Christopher Reuning, Newsquest Specialist Media, London (illustrated)