Francesco Rugeri, Cremona, 1691
Labeled, "Francesco Ruger detto il per, in Cremona 1691."
Sold by the Hill firm to Irish violinist Patrick Delaney a century ago, this violin then belonged to violinist Kathleen Washbourne who played under Sir Adrian Boult with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Ms Washbourne notably premiered pieces for two violins by Patrick Hadley and Alan Rawsthorne with Jessie Hinchliffe at the Wigmore Hall in January, 1938.
Back: in two pieces of slab cut maple with faint, mostly horizontal curl.
Top: in two pieces of spruce with narrow-width grain broadening toward the edges.
Scroll: of plainer maple.
Ribs: of quarter-cut maple with narrow width flame
Varnish: of a golden-brown color.
Length of back: 35.4 cm
Upper bouts: 16.3 cm
Middle bouts: 11.0 cm
Lower bouts: 20.1 cm
There are 17 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|in 2020||Sold by Tarisio|
|from 2020||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: Tarisio, London (2020)
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2020) Dates the latest ring of the bass and treble side as 1654 and 1660, respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1922)
- Letter certificate: Dykes & Sons, London (1922)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Christie's Important Musical Instruments and Printed Music Auction Catalog, June 21, 1988, London, Christie's, Christie's, London (illustrated)