Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri 'del Gesù', Cremona, c. 1715-22, the 'Marteau Habisreuthinger'
Labeled, "Joseph Guarnerius fecit / Cremonae anno 1731."
A collaboration between 'filius' and 'del Gesu'.
Back: in two-pieces of quarter sawn maple with broad curl ascending steeply from the centre-joint to the edges.
Top: of irregular grain, also by Del Gesù but made later in the 1740s
Ribs: of medium figure
Length of back: 35.4 cm
Upper bouts: 16.5 cm
Middle bouts: 10.8 cm
Lower bouts: 20.4 cm
There are 2 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|in 1988||Gérard Poulet|
|in 2013||Current owner|
Gérard Poulet, Henri Marteau, Maxim Vengerov
Certificates & Documents
- Letter: André Levi, Paris (1988)
- Certificate: Association des Maitre Luthiers Suisse (1963)
- Certificate: Silvestre & Maucotel, Paris (1907)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Alte Meistergeigen: Band III und IV, Die Cremoneser Schule / Antonius Stradivarius, Verband Schweizerischer Geigenbaumeister, Verlag Edwin Bochinsky, Frankfurt am Main (illustrated)
- Christie's Important Musical Instruments and Printed Music Auction Catalog, June 21, 1988, London, Christie's, Christie's, London (illustrated)
- Correspondence with Cozio member, December, 2006
- Encyclopedia of Violin-Makers, Volume 1, Karel Jalovec, Paul Hamlyn Ltd., London (illustrated)
- Jose Sanchez-Penzo: The Way Famous String Instruments Went
- Violin Passion