Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri 'del Gesù', Cremona, 1741, the 'Henry Holst'
Labeled, "Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremone ann 1742 IHS."
Back: Two-piece of medium curl ascending slightly from the joint
Top: of very fine grain in the center, opening out towards the flanks
Scroll: of faint medium curl
Ribs: of wood similar to back
Length of back: 35.3 cm
There are 2 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
Notes:"In a letter from Hill's to Henry Holst, something of the violin's history (which went back to 1869) was related and its uathenticity was confirmed, although there were additional signs of another hand in the making."
Hills, Sotheby's and Paul Voigt versus The Rest, Robert Lewin, The Strad, July, 1989, London
|-||Baron Emil d'Erlanger|
|-||Baron D'Erlanger's son|
|until 1946||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1946||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: Paul Voigt, London (1980)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1946)
- Letter: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1946) To Henry Holst.
- Receipt: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1946)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- The Strad, July, 1989, Robert Lewin, London
- Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, March 30, 1989, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- W. E. Hill & Sons Photographic Archive (illustrated)