Giovanni Battista Guadagnini, Piacenza, 1749, the 'Hill'
Labeled, "Joannes Baptista filius Laurentii Guadagnini, fecit Piacentia 1749."
Back: in two pieces of quarter sawn maple with medium-wide flames ascending from the center joint to the edges.
Top: in two pieces of spruce with variable width grain widening to the edges.
Scroll: of slightly plainer maple.
Ribs: of similar wood to the back.
Varnish: of a golden orange brown color.
Length of back: 70.2 cm
Upper bouts: 33.2 cm
Middle bouts: 23.4 cm
Lower bouts: 41.9 cm
There are 3 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|until 1937||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1937||Henry Werro|
|in 2019||Sold by Tarisio Private Sales|
|from 2019||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2019) Dates the latest ring on the bass and treble sides as 1722 and 1719 respectively. Printed report upon request.
- Proforma Certificate: Tarisio, London (2018)
- Certificate: Henry Werro, Bern (1938)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1936)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Italian Violin Makers (1964), Karel Jalovec, Paul Hamlyn, London, 1964
- Italienische Geigenbauer (1957), Karel Jalovec, Artia, Prague, 1957 (illustrated)
- The Guadagnini Family of Violin Makers, Ernest N. Doring, William Lewis & Son, Chicago