Giovanni Battista Guadagnini, Parma, c. 1765, the 'Kingman'
Labeled, "Joannes Baptista Guadagnini Cremonensis Fecit Parmæ *** Anno 1769 G. B. G."
Back: Two-piece of faint medium to broad curl descending from the joint
Top: of medium grain
Scroll: of wood similar to back
Ribs: of wood similar to back
Length of back: 35.4 cm
Upper bouts: 16.7 cm
Middle bouts: 11.4 cm
Lower bouts: 20.3 cm
There are 14 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|until 1922||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1922||A. Kingman|
|in 1936||Mrs. S. G. Bacon|
|in 1938||Sold by Ralph P. Powell|
|1939 - 1940||William Lewis & Son|
|from 1940||Milton Cherry|
|in 1970||Alfred Göckel|
|in 2000||Sold by Tarisio|
|in 2018||Sold by Tarisio Private Sales|
|from 2018||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Proforma Certificate: Tarisio, London (2018)
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2017) Dates the latest ring of the bass and treble side as 1747 and 1752, respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Certificate: Machold Rare Violins, Ltd, Vienna (2008) X-364.
- Certificate: Hamma & Co., Stuttgart (1970)
- Certificate: William Lewis & Son, Chicago, IL (1941)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1922) "A characteristic example."
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London
- Letter certificate: William Lewis & Son, Chicago, IL
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Four Centuries of Violin Making: Fine Instruments from the Sotheby's Archive, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, Boston (illustrated)
- The Strad, November, 1938, London (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Photo Archive
- Sotheby's Stringed Instruments Auction Catalog, November 12, 1987, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- The Guadagnini Family of Violin Makers, Ernest N. Doring, William Lewis & Son, Chicago