Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri 'del Gesù', Cremona, c. 1731, the 'Lo Stauffer, Zukerman'
Labeled, "Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremone anno 1734."
Back: One-piece with flame descending from treble to bass.
Top: of fine-grained spruce which is slightly broader at the centre of the instrument
Scroll: of wood similar to back
Ribs: of wood similar to back
Varnish: Yellow-orange over a golden ground
Length of back: 35.0 cm
Upper bouts: 16.25 cm
Middle bouts: 10.75 cm
Lower bouts: 20.2 cm
There are 7 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
Notes:Resides in the Palazzo Comunale collection in Cremona.
I Centenari Dei Guarneri, I Centenari Dei Guarneri: 1698-1998, Cremona
". . . The varnish of a light brown colour is original on the ribs and head but not on the table and back. . ."
Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, May 11, 1972, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, May 11, 1972, London, London
|in 1830||Bravi Mazzo|
|from 1916||D. Saluzzo|
|until 1930||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|until 1924||Emil Hjorth & Sons|
|from 1930||A. J. Corfe|
|until 1945||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1924||H. L. Wessel|
|from 1945||Boosey & Hawkes|
|in 1972||Sold by Sotheby's|
|1972 - 1977||Pinchas Zukerman|
|until 1980||John & Arthur Beare|
|from 1980||Walter Stauffer Musicological Foundation of Cremona (Museo del Violino)|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: John & Arthur Beare, London (1980)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1926)
- Certificate: Ernst Kessler, Berlin (1924)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- 36 Famous Italian Violins, Alex Wasinski, Herman Gordon, New York (illustrated)
- Cremona's Instruments, Charles Beare, Bruce Carlson & Andrea Mosconi, cremonabooks, Cremona (illustrated)
- Giuseppe Guarneri, detto del Gesu', Elia Santoro, Editrice Turris, Cremona (illustrated)
- Gli Strumenti di Cremona, Charles Beare, Bruce Carlson & Andrea Mosconi, Cremona Books, Cremona (illustrated)
- I Centenari Dei Guarneri: 1698-1998, Consorzio Liutai e Archettai "Antonio Stradivai", Cremona (illustrated)
- Joseph Guarnerius "del Gesù", Charles Beare, Bruce Carlson & Andrea Mosconi, Commune di Cremona, Cremona (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, May 11, 1972, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- The Strad 2010 Calendar: Violin Heroes, Newsquest Specialist Media, London (illustrated)
- W. E. Hill & Sons Photographic Archive (illustrated)