Antonio Stradivari, Cremona, 1711, the 'Vogelweith'
Bearing its original label, "Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1711 AS."
Back: One-piece of medium curl descending from left to right
Top: of fine grain in the center, opening out slightly towards the flanks
Scroll: of wood similar to back
Ribs: of wood similar to back
Length of back: 35.35 cm
Upper bouts: 16.65 cm
Middle bouts: 10.6 cm
Lower bouts: 20.6 cm
There are 2 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
Notes:Sold by Sotheby's in 1987 without any certificates, and then again in 1995 with the three certificates shown.
Sotheby's Stringed Instruments Auction Catalog, November 12, 1987, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's Stringed Instruments Auction Catalog, November 12, 1987, London, London
|in 1987||Sold by Sotheby's|
|in 1989||Frank Goltermann|
|in 1995||Sold by Sotheby's|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: Étienne Vatelot, Paris (1989)
- Certificate: Marcel Vatelot (1943)
- Certificate: Roger & Max Millant, Paris (1943)
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Antonius Stradivarius (Volumes I-IV), Jost Thöne, Jan Röhrmann, Alessandra Barabaschi, Jost Thöne Verlag, Cologne, 2010 (illustrated)
- Bedeutende Streichinstrumente Italienischer und Französischer Meister, November 24, 1997, Luzern, Luzern (illustrated)
- Italian Violin Makers (1964), Karel Jalovec, Paul Hamlyn, London, 1964
- Italienische Geigenbauer (1957), Karel Jalovec, Artia, Prague, 1957 (illustrated)
- Meister Italienischer Geigenbaukunst (8th Edition), Walter Hamma & Co., Florian Noetzel Verlag, Wilhelmshaven (illustrated)
- The Strad, January, 1988, Robert Lewin, London (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, March 21, 1995, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Stringed Instruments Auction Catalog, November 12, 1987, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- Violin Iconography of Antonio Stradivari 1644-1737, Herbert K. Goodkind, Larchmont, NY (illustrated)