Antonio Stradivari, Cremona, 1716, the 'Provigny'
Bearing its original label, "Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis, faciebat anno 1716." 'A. + S." (printed motif surrounded by a double circle). Bridge signed, "E. Vatelot."
Back: Two-piece of broad curly figured maple
Length of back: 35.6 cm
Upper bouts: 16.7 cm
Middle bouts: 11.0 cm
Lower bouts: 20.7 cm
There are 3 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|c. 1827 - 1865||Louis-Edouard Besson|
|1865 - 1908||Palmyra Anaclette Provigny (née Besson)|
|from 1909||Musée de la Musique, Cité de la Musique, Paris|
Certificates & Documents
- Dendrochronology report: John C. Topham, Surrey Dating the youngest tree ring to 1699.
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Capolavori di Antonio Stradivari, Charles Beare, Arnoldo Mondadori S.p.A., Milan (illustrated)
- Cité de la Musique
- How Many Strads? (1999 edition), Doring, Bein & Fushi, Bein & Fushi, Chicago, 1999
- Private Archives - 10746
- The Jacques Français Rare Violins, Inc. Photographic Archive and Business Records, 1844-1998, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Box 59 (illustrated)
- Violin Iconography of Antonio Stradivari 1644-1737, Herbert K. Goodkind, Larchmont, NY (illustrated)