Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri 'del Gesù', Cremona, c. 1731, the 'Baltic'
Labeled, "Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremonę anno 1731 IHS."
Learn more about the instrument
Explore its provenance
Discover how Giuseppe Guarneri became 'del Gesù'
Back: in one piece of quarter-cut maple with broad-width flame descending from the treble side.
Top: in two pieces of spruce with narrow-width grain broadening towards the edges.
Scroll: of plainer maple.
Ribs: of similar wood.
Varnish: of a reddish golden-brown color.
Length of back: 35.1 cm
Upper bouts: 16.4 cm
Middle bouts: 10.8 cm
Lower bouts: 20.3 cm
There are 36 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|until 1935||Giese family|
|in 1935||Sold by Wilhelm Hermann Hammig|
|1935 - 1940||Walter Sochaczewski|
|in 1940||Sold by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co.|
|1940 - 1950||E. Clem Wilson|
|in 1952||Sold by Rembert Wurlitzer Inc.|
|1952 - 1962||Dorotha Powers Percival|
|in 1962||Sold by Rembert Wurlitzer Inc.|
|1962 - c. 1971||Irving Levick|
|in 1971||Sold by Harry A. Duffy|
|1971 - c. 1975||George A. Gade|
|c. 1975 - 1979||Steven Staryk|
|in 1979||Sold by Harry A. Duffy|
|1979 - 1988||Sau-Wing Lam|
|in 2023||Sold by Tarisio|
|from 2023||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: Tarisio, New York, NY (2023)
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2023) Dates the latest ring of the bass and treble side as 1711 and 1713, respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Certificate: Rembert Wurlitzer Inc., New York, NY (1962)
- Letter: Philipp Hammig (photocopy), Berlin (1946) Facsimile copy of a translation.
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1936)
- Letter: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1936) Reissued November 19, 1971.
- Certificate: Philipp Hammig (photocopy), Berlin (1934) Typewritten translation copy.
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- The Strad, October, 1994, Stewart Pollens, Orpheus, London (illustrated)
- Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesú (2 volumes), Carlos Chiesa, John Dilworth, Roger Graham Hargrave, Stewart Pollens, Duane Rosengard & Eric Wen, Peter Biddulph, London (illustrated)
- Private Archives - 1610
- Sau-Wing Lam, Dietmar Machold (illustrated)
- The Late Cremonese Violin Makers, Dmitry Gindin, Editioni Novecento, Cremona (illustrated)
- The Violin Masterpieces of Guarneri del Gesù - Exhibition, Peter Biddulph, Peter Biddulph, London (illustrated)
- W. E. Hill & Sons Photographic Archive (illustrated)