Pietro Guarneri of Mantua, Mantua, 1707, the 'Kreisler'
Labeled, "Petrus Guarneri Cremonentis fecit Mantuæ fub tit. Sanćtæ Teresiæ 1707."
Back: in two pieces of quarter cut maple with medium to broad-width flame ascending from the center seam.
Top: in two pieces of spruce with medium-width grain broadening toward the edges.
Ribs: and head of slightly plainer maple.
Varnish: of a dark orange-brown color.
Length of back: 35.6 cm
Upper bouts: 16.8 cm
Middle bouts: 11.7 cm
Lower bouts: 20.6 cm
There are 12 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|in 1872||Sold by W. E. Hill & Sons|
|1872 - 1893||Baron Robert Amadeus Heath|
|1893 - 1910||Baron Johann Knoop|
|in 1910||Sold by W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1926||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|1926 - 1931||Frederick Popple|
|1931 - 1936||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1936||Fritz Kreisler|
|in 1945||Sold by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co.|
|in 2012||Sold by Tarisio Private Sales|
|from 2022||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: Tarisio, Berlin (2022)
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2022) Dates the latest ring of the bass and treble side as 1689 and 1687, respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Certificate: Rudolph Wurlitzer Co., New York, NY (1945)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1936)
- Certificate: Emil Herrmann, New York, New York, NY
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- 36 Famous Italian Violins, Alex Wasinski, Herman Gordon, New York (illustrated)
- The Strad, January, 1987, Michael Darnton, London (illustrated)
- Ars Musica, Aloys Greither, Bayer AG, Heft 8 (illustrated)
- Kreisler’s Violins, Cozio Carteggio feature, Tully Potter, 2017
- The Emil Hermann Collection - Part II, Andy Lim & Gregory Singer, Darling Publications, Cologne / New York (illustrated)
- The Violin Makers of the Guarneri Family, W. Henry, Arthur F. & Alfred E. Hill, William E. Hill & Sons, London, 1931 (illustrated)
- W. E. Hill & Sons Photographic Archive (illustrated)