Pietro Guarneri of Mantua, Mantua, c. 1700
Labeled, "Petrus Guarnerius Cremonensis filius Andreæ fecit Mantuœ sub. tit. Sanctæ Teresiæ 1698."
Length of back: 35.4 cm
There are 2 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|until 1927||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|in 1931||Diana Cator|
|until 1945||W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1945||Robert Augustus Bower|
|from 1978||Pauli Merling|
|in 2003||Sold by Sotheby's|
Certificates & Documents
- Certificate: D. R. Hill & Son, Great Missenden (2003)
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1945) Describes the violin as 'a thoroughly characteristic example of the early period of the maker's work'
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)
- Four Centuries of Violin Making: Fine Instruments from the Sotheby's Archive, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, Boston (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, March 11, 2003, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London
- Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, November 11, 2003, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London (illustrated)
- Sotheby's Photo Archive
- The Violin Makers of the Guarneri Family, W. Henry, Arthur F. & Alfred E. Hill, William E. Hill & Sons, London, 1931 (illustrated)