"The Hill certificate of 1935 is made out to Henry Werro, who sold the violin before the war. Its history between then and the early 1970s is not recorded, but in 1971 it was in the possession of the widow of the German collector Hermann Hubel. Frau Hubel lent the violin to Wilhelm Melcher of the Melos Quartet of Stuttgart for their 1971 tour of South America. The violin was for sale at the time for DM60000, but Herr Melcher passed up the opportunity in favour of a Domenico Montagnana.
In May 1972 the instrument was sold to the present owner, in whose possession it has remained for 29 years. For much of that time it has been loaned to the leader of the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra."
Sotheby's Musical Instruments Auction Catalog, June 19, 2001, London, Sotheby's, Sotheby's, London, 2001