Andrea Guarneri, Cremona, c. 1690
Labeled, "Andreas Guarnerius fecit Cremona sub, Titulo Sanctæ Teresiæ 1651."
The later top dating to c. 1760. The head by another hand.
Back: in two pieces of quarter cut maple with medium-width flame descending from the center seam.
Top: in two pieces of spruce with narrow-width grain broadening toward the egdes.
Scroll: of plainer maple.
Ribs: of similar wood.
Varnish: of a reddish orange-brown color.
Length of back: 35.4 cm
Upper bouts: 16.4 cm
Middle bouts: 11.0 cm
Lower bouts: 20.2 cm
There are 6 additional images in the archive which are not available publicly. Please contact us for more information.
|in 1920||Sold by W. E. Hill & Sons|
|in 1933||Sold by W. E. Hill & Sons|
|from 1933||W. R. Ford Company, Inc.|
|from 1968||William Levin|
|in 1971||Sold by William Moennig & Son|
|in 2020||Sold by Tarisio|
|from 2020||Current owner|
Certificates & Documents
- Dendrochronology report: Peter Ratcliff, London (2020) Dates the latest rings on the bass and treble sides to 1752 and 1757 respectively. Printed report available for purchase upon request.
- Letter certificate: Pierre Dalphin, Geneva (1983) ascribes the complete violin to Andrea Guarneri.
- Certificate: William Moennig & Son, Philadelphia, PA (1971) ascribes the complete violin to Andrea Guarneri.
- Certificate: W. A. Shropshire, New York, NY (1968) ascribes the complete violin to Andrea Guarneri.
- Certificate: W. E. Hill & Sons, London (1933) ascribes the body to Andrea Guarneri and the head to Giovanni Battista Ceruti.
Cozio holds copies of many certificates and other documents, some of which are available to view on request. Please contact us if you wish to view a particular document. (Note that we do not always have permission to share documents.)